
Mikayla has had strep ALOT...and it has affected her !joints...and we were concerned about it affecting her heart.....so...OUT come the tonsils :) She is trying to keep busy while waiting in the waiting room!

Lookin stylish in her new "gown"....she wouldnt let me take a bum cheek shot...I have NO idea why ;) lol....and NO her socks are not on wrong...they were printed on both sides!

Peace....Mikayla was a HOOT and we laughed and laughed about stuff before she went to surgery....a HUGE change from the night before....she sobbed forever cuz she was worried about the recovery (mostly about the pain) I cant say I blame her!

Mikayla...being Mikayla....such a silly girl! (pretty darn cute too)

LOL...this one cracks me up everytime! She is so funny sometimes!

Not funny...she is just waking up from surgery and is hurting VERY badly :( They gave her medicine orally so she cried for 30 minutes (i cried with her...it broke my heart) waiting for it to kick in.....I wanted them to give her something by IV...so she didnt have to suffer. And Mikayla kept complaining her HAND hurt. After I was persistent with the nurse (and the nurse brushed us off for the 3rd time) her hand was hurting because they had wrapped her hand and wrist SO tight her fingers were dark purple. She was just fine once the pain med kicked in....and they unwrapped her hand!

She is watching TV while in the recovery room......the medicine had finally kicked in....and she drank 3 cans of apple juice, one 20 oz bottle of water, finished her iv bag....and ate a cup of pudding! She was STARVING! Getting your tonsils out is NOT fun....she even had tonsil tissue cut off of her tounge! We were feeling pretty lucky that she was old enough to TELL us what was wrong....I was feeling so badly for the tiny kids who cried and cried.....

Mikayla was feeling much better by the time we left the Riverwoods Surgical Center.....and she wheeled HERSELF to the front doors!!!! She felt good enough to want to go to Target....but as we were going to get out of the car...she got sick and didnt feel good AT ALL....so we went straight home! She was gray...and very sick to her stomach...she never did throw up (lucky for her) but we are trying our best to take extra good care of her! She has to stay in bed for 3-5 days....miss school for a week....and no active play for 2 weeks!
The first few days were AWFUL....(thursday, friday and saturday) and then Sunday and Monday were much better! So....we will keep updating as she recovers! We love our Mikayla!
**MY ADVICE**
*Be your childs advocate....nurses dont ALWAYS know best..and neither do doctors
*Stay on top of the pain....esp for the first few days! I set my alarm clock to be able to get up through the night. Just because it is a common procedure....it is NOT common for the patient!
* Make sure they follow the dr's instructions....and drink ALOT...and rest ALOT
* I got alot of things that she could sit and do....beads..magazines...dry erase board....books..movies
* a quiet friend is a wonderful companion!
* dont buy a trampoline and have it come after easter....and on the day of the surgery
4 comments:
Mikayla, I am so glad that you are feeling better. I am glad you have such a fabulous mom to take care of you.
I hope that she will contiune to get better. I am glad that she didn't throw up that would have really hurt her. I hope Alex's does good on Thursady when he has his surgery. I like your blog background. I use to have that one before I got the one that I have now. I am gald that I talked to Amie today so she could tell me what ALex needed to eat. So was Mikayla haveing joint pain when she would get strepp? Alex kept getting a hurt legg. Good luck on the recovery.
Poor, beautiful girl. I have never seen a patient look that perfect before, goodness! I am glad the surgery is behind her and you, may the recovery be speedy and the results be evident. NO MORE STREP!!!
And I hear you on having a broken heart for the little tots in pain. I was heart broken for Dawson... just 20 months old.
What a pretty girl, and a trooper, too! I am so sorry for her! That surgery seems to be one of the most painful ever! I love your advice, though. I hope she is just about through with it by now!
Post a Comment