Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My kids are growing UP!

It is amazing how time flies! It seems like yesterday that I had 3 kids under 8...4 kids under 10...and life was a little more simple!
Now...the kids are growing up right before my eyes!
Mikayla wants to wear eyeliner..mascara...lipgloss...and high heels! She is great at doing her own hair and cares about what she wears :) We are ending up waiting 20 more minutes in the car waiting for her to look "just right". And she is becoming a beautiful young lady! She has also discovered BOYS! She spends time at the skating rink and loves to "snowball" while holding hands with the boys who ask her to skate with them! (is this seriously happening?) She babysits and earns her own money...and is a huge help around our home! She has a beautiful voice and is constantly singing a song!
Hannah loves to sneak some mascara and would LOVE to wear heels if I would let her! She loves cute clothes and loves to go shopping! She has to have her hair straightened everyday...and no longer needs my help with bathing or washing hair! She has questions about changes that happen as girls become women. Hannah loves to play with her friends and just may end up with a room at the Oliphants for the amount of time she spends there! They are her second family!
She notices boys already! She has a HUGE crush on Nick Jonas of the Jonas Brothers and is super excited to see them at the Stadium of Fire this year!
Tyson wants to wear his hair long and shaggy (which is the style~and I am okay with it~but Deric isn't) he likes to have his hair "tipped" with blonde...and is starting to have an opinion about what he wears. He wears cologne now...and wants to date!!! He has to wait till he is 16 though! He has alot of good friends and "hangs out" with them often...and now has started wanting to go with his friends to GIRLS houses! Ahhhh! Its crazy when the word "hang out" replaces "can i go play"...He loves to go snowboarding with his friends and snowmobiling with his Dad! He is getting excited for lawn mowing season to start soon so that he can have some money in his pocket! He gives a little attitude now and then and is having to "relearn" how to word things when he wants to go do something...
Porter is beyond his 4 years in so many ways...but is still my baby! He has learned to do things..say things...because he wants to be just like the big kids SOOOO bad! He is probably the most obedient of my kids...and doesnt ask for much when we go to the store! He hates to wear clothes and is perfectly content to run around in his underwear! He was thrilled on Saturday when we took his bike to get the tire fixed at the bike shop! In fact he just piped up and said "hey mom...my bike is fixed" lol It will be so nice when the weather stays nice! He is a homebody...and loves to be with me. But when we DO go somewhere he always says how much fun it was!
I love being the Mom of 4 great kids! There are good days...and there are bad days. There are days where I feel like I know what I am doing...and days I want to run away! But overall I am one lucky lady :)

4 comments:

Bethie said...

wow!!! boys for the girls already???
and hanging out at Girls houses-- I am not looking forward to that:(

Shannon said...

They really are growing up, aren't they? I love the way you stated your post, too. You seem like you are enjoying and experiencing and trying to get the most out of your children while they are children.

As I read your post, the words, "They grow up so fast, In a heartbeat the moment is passed" came into my mind.

Thanks for the reflective post, Karen. And good luck with the girl~boy thing!!!

Amie said...

I can't wait to see what kind of boys Mikayla chooses to hang out with! Is she going to be like her mother and have them sneaking up to her window at night???? :)

The Shelley Family said...

ha ha...very funny amie! for the record i had NO idea they would come to my window ;) they were supposed to come earlier and when they didnt i decided to get ready for bed...and WHOOPS!!! usually ya dont have to shut the blind when your nearest neighbor is an apple tree! lol....