Saturday, March 7, 2009

17 years ago...TODAY

On March 7, 1992 ....Deric got down on one knee in the middle of Provo Park and asked me to "make him the happiest man in this world and be his wife" and I was THRILLED and said "YES"! I knew the whole night that he was going to ask me...but he was really nervous and wouldnt let me touch one side of his jacket (can u guess that my ring was in that side? lol) and we drove to several places before he stopped at the park. We drove around the Provo Temple...and then up to the Homestead (we walked around a huge ice sculpture)...stopped and got a drink and a treat at a gas station in Heber...and then went BACK to the Provo Temple...and then somehow ended up at the park....we walked for a while and then he scooped me up in his arms and in one motion knelt down on one knee and proposed to me! I still remember how the ring sparkled and how excited I was that he FINALLY asked me! We kissed (of course) and I even cried a little...but mostly I couldnt stop dancing around and sqealing! I even yelled my excitement out the window of the truck on the way home to tell my parents!
We hurried because my Dad had said that if we got engaged to do it at a reasonable hour...I think it was about 11pm when we told them (Dad did get out of bed and came into the living room) and I dont remember alot of their reaction but I do know that Deric never asked my Dad for his permission. Deric figured the only permission to marry me he needed....was from ME!
We drove after telling my parents....to tell Derics Mom. It was about 1am when we got to Fairview and we woke her up to tell her our good news! She was excited and tired! Deric and I drove back to Pleasant Grove and he spent the night at my parents house and we spent the next day spreading the news to all the family!
I most remember being SO excited to tell Grandma and Grandpa Bezzant. They were so excited for us...and Grandpa told us we had no idea what we were in for! lol (he was right by the way)
I was 19...Deric was 21. We were young..and in love...and couldn't wait to be married! We were married and sealed in the Manti Temple four short months later on July 10!
I still remember WHY I fell in love with my husband....and I am STILL in love with him to this day! Love You Deric!

2 comments:

Bethie said...

that is so sweet!

awe young love!

I still remember you on your wedding day, I thought you were the most beautiful bride I had ever seen. you too looked so cute together and you still do:)
congrats on the 17 year anniversary of your engagement

Shannon said...

What a darling story! I love that he was so nervous too! You made him the happiest young man alive by agreeing. I still remember when you two came to see my mom and tell of your engagement. I remember thinking that I hoped someone would love me like Derric loved you. And you were so beautiful! (still are...)
17 years? Are we getting old or something?