Sunday, June 14, 2009

MeMoRiEs

I stopped at a little store "Little Things Mean Alot" in American Fork yesterday and was just looking at all the cute items in the store....and then I happened to pick up a perfume that is supposedly developed just for kids by a Mom.....no biggie (it smelled like baby powder)...but then I picked up another perfume (forgot the name of it) but somethings was so familiar about the bottle so I opened the tester to smell it.
I knew that smell. In my mind I was suddenly a little girl standing at my Grandma Bevans dresser, holding a perfume bottle.... looking in the mirror. An opened jewelry box full of treasures was in front of me...and behind me is my Grandma Lucille Bevan asking me if I like the smell of the perfume. The perfume smelled like Grandma. She gave me that bottle of perfume. I treasured it as a little girl. Things that Grandma's give are special. I had to leave the store. My eyes were spilling over with tears.
I am going to go back and get that perfume.
I miss my Grandma...I miss the wisdom and the advice...and the warmth of her hugs. I miss the smell of starch and the sight of her in my kitchen ironing for me as I tended to my 3 young children. I miss going to her house....and admiring the trinkets that had become her treasures.
I miss the little sayings that are hers. "Oh Happy Day" is one of my favorites.
I feel her near to me some days. I treasure those moments.
I am so glad I picked up that little bottle of perfume. Thankful that pleasant memories flood my mind when I am reminded of her.
I love you Grandma!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Karen, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. Your experience and memories brought tears to my eyes as well. Grandma was such a gentle, lovely, kind woman. I never heard her complain... "It's fine dear" was her common response. Some of my favorites:
~her little cackle laugh
~"as long as it's wet" when requesting a drink of water
~the way her strong grasp felt around my hand, so secure.
~When I had Sammy, everyone was gathered around us admiring our minutes old baby. Grandma said, "Is there any good reason why this grandma can't hold this baby right this minute?" She was the first besides Jeff and I to hold Sam.
~the story of Sandy the dog digging holes in the garden wherever Grandma pointed.
~Her pies. Nothing will ever come close to them. Banana cream was my favorite, she knew that. When just our family would come to dinner, she'd always make that and give me an extra big slice.
~I would stand and admire her collection of plates in the hallway. I loved to look at each one and ask Grandma questions about them. I loved that she took the time to do that for me.
~I would crack up every time she would scold Grandpa. "LEO! I am ready to go home. I will be waiting in the car." and "LEO! That's enough." They were always bickering back and forth, still holding hands much of the time.
~"Goodbye dear"
~"Goodnight!" even in the middle of the day.

I love and miss her dearly. What an incredible woman she was. She raised some incredible mothers for us, didn't she?

Amie said...

Definately a trip down memory lane. Thanks for the post Karen and for the added comments Shannon. I think that Grandma's house is also where I fell in love with banana cream pie. YUM!!! Still my absolute favorite!