I am sick with the FLU. It started on Sunday afternoon on our way to Ephraim and was pretty bad by the time I got to Spanish Fork on the way home. I definately felt rotten Sunday night and Monday I went to the Urgent Care because our Dr's office had no available appointments open and they TOLD me to go to their Urgent Care. I walked away with a script for Tamiflu and two shots in my tush. One for nausea and an anti-inflammatory shot for body aches. I had every hope in the world that my symptoms would be lessened and went home to rest. The nausea eased up until the shot wore off~but I wasnt given anything to help with nausea at home and never noticed any relief with body aches. Around midnight I had body aches soooo bad I could not hold still. It wasnt just my muscles~my BONES felt like they were being crushed. I took advil (4) and 3 tylenol and a tsp of my cough syrup sure I would get relief. NOTHING. I would get moments of relief and fall asleep only to wake 10 minutes later racked with pain again. Needless to say it was a long, long night.
Morning brought no change and I called the dr at the Urgent Care to see if there was anything they could do to help my symptoms. He said to alternate motrin and tylenol. (been there done that~sometimes i wonder if they really think patients are idiots~would I be calling if what i was doing was WORKING??? NO!)
I tried a hot bath (even hotter than i could stand it) and it only changed the sensation~burning hot skin AND bone crushing pain. I couldnt hold still, nothing I was doing was helping so I called my doc to see if they had an appt open.
They didnt but the front office gal said I could come right over and they would get me in. At this point I had been crying for hours and was desperate. I looked forward to getting some relief. (yes i understand that the flu is miserable, but there is NO reason to suffer when the miracle of modern medicine is out there~and this was beyond anything I had experienced in the past)
I was hopeful...and the doctor came in and asked about my symptoms and after I told him everything he said "yep thats what the flu does to u, take motrin and tylenol and your cough syrup should take care of any nausea or pain that u have"
I explained that I had taken ALL of that including the tamiflu and told him the meds that had been given the day before, and that what I had done to ease the body aches brought no relief. He suggested outpatient IV therapy at the Hospital and that it would take care of the aches and nausea (he was going to have them add some phenagran) and he walked out of the room. I did as I was told and went to the hospital. Still no relief. NONE!
I went home in tears. Still in horrible pain, the nausea was a little better.
I was angry, hurt, miserable and no relief in sight. WHY?
I suffered all day long. Do u know how long a day is when every inch of your body hurts so bad u cant hold still? I wonder how in good concience a doctor can SEE suffering and not offer ANY relief. I am so angry! I want to know WHY! What I am experiencing is NOT normal. I didnt deserve to suffer :(
Shame on that doctor and every doctor out there like him.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am soooo sorry, is there anything I can do? can I bring dinner? anything,
I am thinking of you
Thanks Bethie :) my hubby is the king of grabbing take-out for dinner, so no worries there! this latest fiasco has driven me to find another doctor.
thanks for being so sweet and offering help :) i am such a lucky girl to have such good family and friends!
how bout when i get better we ALL go out to dinner/lunch or do stuff with our kiddos :) love ya Beth!
Yuck, Karen! I'm sorry you're so sick and not finding anything to help you feel even a little bit better! You just can't seem to have a day without it lately. I hope the new Dr. will give you what you need to feel better.
Post a Comment